Aliyos Shlomo of Jerusalem, founded in 5760, is an advanced and dynamic Kollel program dedicated to the memory of the legendary Rabbi Shlomo Freifeld, late Rosh HaYeshiva of Sh’or Yoshuv Institute in Far Rockaway, New York. Rabbi Freifeld זצ"ל was a person whose far-reaching vision and towering personality left an indelible impact on all who came in contact with him. Aliyos Shlomo, founded by his talmidim, is one of the many living testimonies of his spiritual legacy.
Rabbi Dovid Lipson, the founder and director of Aliyos Shlomo, was a noted student of Rabbi Freifeld at Sh’or Yoshuv Institute. After moving to Israel, Rabbi Lipson learned for twelve years in numerous kollelim, among them Kollel Chazon Ish of B'nei B'rak, Me'or Eliyahu of Telzstone, and Birkas Ohel Shimon of Ramot; and subsequently taught for six years at Yeshiva Lev Avraham in Jerusalem.
Aliyos Shlomo was created to meet the needs of especially talented B’nei Torah for whom the traditional Kollel, geared to a more general audience, does not provide enough of a challenge. There is a need for highly structured and demanding Kollelim with sufficiently high expectations to enable capable yungeleit to both develop and produce, avoiding stagnation. The achievements that our members have attained,and the huge amount of Torah energy generated during the learning sessions, attest to the remarkable success of Aliyos Shlomo
a Kollel with a Curriculum
1. Aliyos Shlomo is distinguished for its highly structured CURRICULUM, combining three critical elements: DEPTH, PACE, and ACCOUNTABILITY.
DEPTH: All learning is בעיון ,with the analytical approach promulgated by all major Yeshivos.
PACE: There is a set pace of 5-6 blatt (גמרא רש"י תוס' רא"ש ר"ן ורי"ף) month a which must be adhered to by all students.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The program includes mandatory monthly חזרה and a monthly בחינה fostering mastery of all the material covered. As a result, the student emerges after each month with LUCID COMPREHENSION of the relevant issues and halachos.
2. Aliyos Shlomo emphasizes and encourages sharing of ideas among the members of the group. Thus, time is divided between learning b'chavrusa and learning through group discussion. Special weekly shiurim חבורות are prepared by students and faculty, thus requiring each participant to share and deliberate on the ideas of his
fellows. At Aliyos Shlomo there is a weekly round-table discussion of ruchnius goals, based on classical ספרי השקפה.
3. Aliyos Shlomo concentrates the equivalent of a full day's curriculum into an intensive four-hour study session. This unique arrangement allows the student time to devote to independent research, or to participate in and benefit from other less demanding Torah programs. There is also an optional afternoon program for those students who wish to devote a full day to the project.
4. By systematic adherence to the highest standards and demands, Aliyos Shlomo continues to attract unusually talented and serious talmidei chachomim,some of them world-class scholars, and this in turn raises the level of the program many-fold.
5. Aliyos Shlomo is located in a beautiful shul in the Ramot Gimmel section of Jerusalem, with a well-stocked seforim library and all the accommodations that promote and stimulate the learning process.